If your training provider closes
Typing out a word will show suggestions automatically below

If your training provider closes

Help & advice

  • The closing training provider has a responsibility to help you find another training provider.
  • The Department of Education and Training will contact you if you were doing a government-subsidised course.
  • Overseas students and students paying full fees or with a VET Student Loan can contact other organisations for assistance.

What your training provider should do

Your training provider has a responsibility to:

  • find you another training provider if you are enrolled and want to continue your training
  • give you a statement of attainment for completed units of competency
  • give you a transcript of results for a completed qualification
  • return any unmarked assessments to you.

See What to do when your training provider closes on the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) website for more information.

Get help

These organisations can help you if your training provider closes.

Transferring to another course

If you need help finding and transferring to a new course, contact the TAFE and Training Line.

Explore occupations

Use the Occupation Explorer to find another Victorian TAFE course, apprenticeship or traineeship.

Students doing government-subsidised training

If you were doing a Skills First Victorian government-subsidised course when the provider closed, the Victorian Department of Education and Training will send you an SMS and a ‘fee waiver letter’.

The letter will explain that you can continue your studies at a TAFE in the same or a similar course without having to pay more tuition fees (not including amenities or materials costs).

You'll need to get copies of your student records, or a statement of attainment, before you transfer. Your closing training provider should provide you with a statement of attainment. If you need help, you can contact the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) or the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA).

You'll receive a fee credit for any units of study that you were doing when the provider closed.

Find subsidised training

Use the course search to find the courses or training providers you’re interested in, then filter by ‘government-subsidised'.

Students paying full fees

If your course is not subsidised by the Victorian Government and you are paying all the fees yourself, the Independent Tertiary Education Council Australia (ITECA) Student Tuition Assurance Scheme (TAS) may be able to help you transfer to a new course.

Check the Student and Training Provider Activation Portal to see if ITECA has activated TAS in response to your provider's closure.

For information about fee refunds or credits, visit the TAS website.

If you believe you should get a refund and the training provider does not help you, contact Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Students with a loan or FEE-HELP

If you have a VET Student Loan, VET FEE-HELP or FEE-HELP when your training provider closes, the Tuition Assurance Administrator from the Australian Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business will contact you.

For more information, see Tuition Assurance and Provider Closures.

International students

If you are an international student on a student visa, contact the Tuition Protection Service to arrange your transfer to another approved provider and to make sure your visa remains current.

Getting your student records

If your training provider does not give you your statement of attainment, see applying for a copy of your student records on the ASQA website or student issues, certificates, results on the VRQA website.

Make a complaint

If you are having problems with a closing training provider or you want to make a formal complaint, see make a complaint about training.