Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Residential Care Officer

Provides care and supervision for children or disabled persons in group housing or institutional care.

Tasks Include:

  • assessing clients' needs and planning, developing and implementing educational, training and support programs
  • interviewing clients and assessing the nature and extent of difficulties
  • monitoring and reporting on the progress of clients
  • referring clients to agencies that can provide additional help
  • assessing community need and resources for health, welfare, housing, employment, training and other facilities and services
  • liaising with community groups, welfare agencies, government bodies and private businesses about community issues and promoting awareness of community resources and services
  • supporting families and providing education and care for children and disabled persons in adult service units, group housing and government institutions
  • supervising offenders on probation and parole
  • assisting young people to solve social, emotional and financial problems
Job prospects for Welfare Support Workers in Victoria

Occupations in the Welfare Support Workers group include Community Worker, Disabilities Services Officer, Family Support Worker, Parole or Probation Officer, Residential Care Officer and Youth Worker.

Employment prospects
Skills shortage: this occupation needs more skilled workers now. There are currently 13,600 Welfare Support Workers in Victoria. Over the next five years, the size of this relatively large occupation is expected to remain similar. Employment prospects for the next five years are stable.

Average weekly wage

Hourly earnings

For more information about this occupation at a national level visit the Job Outlook website.

Related courses
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 courses related to Residential Care Officer.
Government-subsidised training is marked with this symbol

This qualification is part of the Community Services Training Package. It reflects the role of workers who develop and f...

This course is offered in 29 locations

This qualification is part of the Community Services Training Package. It reflects the role of people with responsibilit...

This course is offered in 15 locations

This course is for staff supporting people with dementia both in a residential and community setting. It will provide pa...

This course is offered in 3 locations

Saved searches

Save your search results for quick access.
TAFEs and other public providers
Find out about the different types of public training providers.

CSS is relied upon in order to use this site. Please enable and refresh your page. For information on accessibility please navigate to the link in the footer of this page. Thank you.